View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 12:29 AM   #132
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I used to really enjoy reading the now legends EU books. For every complete piece of trash, gold colored meat Young Jedi Knights crap, there were a lot of really good books.

I mean if you read the Bane Trilogy, and Darth Plagueis and Dark Lord and the Thrawn Trilogy you just had a sense that the writers understood Star Wars and invested in the Characters.

With the new EU the characters seem out of place and the writing quality is poor. With the latest Thrawn book, they made Vader out to be a cardboard cutout villain who's every second thought was "Man I could snap Thrawn's neck like a twig" while Thrawn sat there lecturing the right hand of the Emperor. Every second word out of Thrawn's mouth was "a moment" as he slowly collected his thoughts because . . . he . . . .was . . . . so . . . . deliberate.

The Anakin Padme Thrawn stuff was just really boring and the link to Palpatine's order 66 was kind of silly.

I liked the original Thrawn Trilogy except I found Jorus sorry Joruus Cboath to be a really stupid character. I liked Thrawn's character but for a military genius he lost every major battle in the book.

I mean even Timothy Zahn felt like he was mailing this book in and they're really missing the amazing writing of Drew Karpyshyn, James Luceno (If you haven't read Dark Lord, Plageius, and Labyrinth of Evil, you're missing out). I mean the one novel from the new EU that I was looking for was Dark Lords which was a Vader and Palpatine book but it just came across as a buddy cop novel. I mean they were evil, but still.

Even when you read the Thrawn novel here he acts so far out of character from the Thrawn from Rebels that all you can do is shake your head. The Thrawn in Rebels differed from the original Thrawn in that new Thrawn is completely calculating and ruthless and doesn't care about killing millions to reach his goals, whereas you never got that feel from Legends EU in that Thrawn was somewhat noble and principled.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote