View Single Post
Old 07-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #28
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Eh, Kylington played at a high level at a young age and put up points but has been questionable defensively to say the least. Comparing him to Lindholm is like apples to oranges IMO. Points aren't everything for a defenceman and Kylington still has a ton of work to do before NHL coaches will trust him to play regular minutes.

I think he's clearly behind Andersson and Valimaki for me
Yeah more to show career progression at similar points in their careers than anything.

For Lindholm defense was also a weakness in his draft year but he has clearly developed that aspect of his game.

For example this was from Lindholm's draft profile

Quote:
Lindholm's defensive hockey sense is where he needs the most work, as he's not bad in that area but he has his off moments. He does have good offensive instincts and vision, so there is potential that this problem could go away, but he does tend to look a little raw at times with his decisions in his own end or his overall positioning.
Sounds a little familiar doesn't it?

Really offensively the development path's have been the same, but it's now up to Kylington to round out his defensive play post draft the same way Lindholm did. According to people watching him in the AHL he made big strides year 1 to year 2, let's hope that it keeps up.

It's crazy to think of our defensive depth organizationally - remember this was an area flagged as a weakness when Treliving took over and before the Hamilton trade. Now....

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Wotherspoon - Andersson
Kylington - Fox
Valimaki - AOM
Healey

Including NHL, AHL, and prospect depth I feel like the Flames have to be the deepest in the NHL.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-05-2017 at 02:48 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote