View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #263
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
In a word, worse. The airport is out in Leduc (the international airport) and it is a pain in the ass to get to. The city has started a bus service with Wifi and other amenities but they found that the only people using it with any regularity were the employees who worked at the airport. While I understand the concept of rail bias I doubt that there would be much different with regards to a train line.

There has been talk about a train in Edmonton but the general consensus has been that the value isn't there to justify the cost.

In fact they just had a large advertising blitz to convince people to fly out of Edmonton rather than Calgary - I don't know how well that has caught on though.
The bus isnt exactly convenient.

It goes from the Airport west on Elerslie and north up 111 to Heritage mall at the bus/train hub there.

The airport is the second largest employment centre outside of downtown. If all you have is 1/2 the number of workers using it to get to the airport that is roughly 25K more users of the Calgary Transit and as with anything like that once you get the infrastructure in place, any new user lowers the operating cost of the whole system.

Maybe the final plan is to take a tram up centre street and then over to the airport. If so that would be a great thing to have in Calgary to connect the two largest employment centres in the city.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote