View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #1365
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m just not sure people who say “look how great fossil fuels are, look how much they’ve done for us, look how much we rely on them” are ready to engage in critical thought. There’s a few posters on this board that do it and act like they’re spreading revelatory truth.

No #### a lot of our advancements have come from things like petroleum. Nobody is debating that. But now there is a cost to that advancement that we have to pay, so let’s put the thinking caps on and give a little effort instead of poo pooing science or criticising teenagers. It’s lazy and pathetic.
Yes, but unfortunately 'listen to the science' has become a bit of a close-minded refrain as well. There is no debate (from rational people) that there is climate change. But that doesn't mean that there isn't still debate needed on exactly what that means going forward, and what the best solutions are.

The other issue I have is that too many people use 'science' as an absolute, as a conversation ender. The science of what is happening now is one thing (largely, if not entirely, indisputable), but assuming that the projections of what will happen going forward (especially decades out), are also indisputable, is a completely different thing. Projections, by definition, include assumptions, and therefore no matter how exactingly the science is applied, the resulting projections are not, to coin a phrase, an exact science.

Those who poo poo (to use your term) everyone who questions anything is also really tiring to listen to. (Not directing this at you, it is a general statement)

spoiler alert: stating this does not make me a climate denier
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: