View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #1400
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I'm interested in Octopath Traveler but is it a good option for a more casual Nintendo Switch player? I have Zelda, Mario, and Raving Raving Rabbids but haven't finished any of them. I do enjoy turn based RPGs with Valkyrie Chronicles and XCom games being my favourites. I'm not very good with open world games as I need tasks and specific things to do to progress the story.
I would say the game is pretty accessible for casual players. The story is structured into chapters which take an hour or two each, so it's convenient for short play sessions. It's not nearly as open world as Breath of the Wild or Red Dead Redemption. The paths between towns are fairly linear and you will have a marker on your map for where each character's next chapter takes place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
As far as objectives, there are always story points pushing you forward and not a lot of sidequests/exploration, which is fine. It's very different from Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM which have a lot of action/strategic movement, but that's not necessarily bad. The strategy comes from maximizing your abilities within your turns and limiting your enemies by exploiting their weaknesses at the right time. It is really fun but in a different way. I think it'd be worth a try, though some of the boss fights might be pretty tough for a new JRPG player.
There aren't many side quests during chapter 1, but lots will open up when you reach chapter 2. Also, if you return to towns whre you have completed the story there will be 3-4 side quests you can do.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: