Thread: [PGT] Flames 2 Wild 0
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #264
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

No breakaways against. Not many odd-man rushes against. Flames played well defensively, and Smith made the big saves (all the saves in this case) when needed. You can't go far in the playoffs if your team isn't able to play this type of game.

What I really notice with Peters' system is how good the players on the ice at being aware of defencemen jumping into the play. I felt Hartley's teams were also really good at rotating right away and covering for defencemen. Late in the game, I think it was Brodie that jumped deep into the zone, and I saw Mangiapane just rotate right in and cover for him. I was afraid with him being a rookie and not getting much practice time with the squad, that he may not notice or take too long to recognize it. Nope. Straight away, no hesitation. They rotate so well out there. Gulutzan didn't have the defencemen activating nearly as much, so you didn't see this happening. It is just really cool seeing this team being constantly aware of the situations on the ice, and fulfilling their responsibilities defensively.

Also, I love Lomberg. There is something to be said about one of the smaller players on your team being the 'goon'. I like how he went right at Dumba, but once he got a shot in or two and Dumba turtled, he didn't continue throwing.

Also, screw the Wild fans. They think Calgary is a dirty team? Ha! Yeah, that Giordano check I do think was dirty, and I hate seeing crap like that from the team I cheer for, but I bet it was unintentional. More reactionary. How about a team that comes out with a plan on neutralizing an opposing player by continually whacking him on the hands with their sticks? The Wild are always a cheap team. Usually boring as watching paint dry too. Cool logo though.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: