View Single Post
Old 02-07-2021, 08:38 PM   #17
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I remember looking at AWS a long time ago for a CP server move, and for the amount of traffic it looked pretty expensive, mind you the cost of things has come down a lot since back then (for conventional hosting too, I mean I was finding VPS hosting for less than $60 a month for 6+ vCPU and 16+GB of RAM running on SSDs).

And I never really thought about the scaling part but that's a good point. I might send you a PM to get more details on what the costs are, might be something to do in the future.
AWS certainly isn’t cheap, especially compared to the VPS solutions out there. You get what you pay for, most of the VPS solutions are still shared, so if someone else hosted there sharing resources with you is hogging it, you’re going to experience slowdowns. AWS pricing is more comparable to dedicated hosting. One of the large forums I helped move was tired of all the random and unexplained performance issues with VPS hosting and haven’t had a single performance issue since moving to AWS.

It all depends where you want to find the balance. If your primary goal is user experience so that you can handle the biggest peaks with no slowdown for your users, AWS is the optimal solution for cost/performance ratio. From high loads due to large usage events like big trades here, to a new search engine bot spidering your site, AWS’s ability to scale out front end servers and cost optimization from using burstable database backends can’t be beat. The best part is that everything is automated. I haven’t had to maintain beyond.ca for years now. It’s all done transparently.

More than happy to show you how beyond is setup, and detailed costs of our setup over zoom. Shoot me a PM and we’ll schedule something.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rage2 For This Useful Post: