Thread: #Retire14
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #167
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This is not a “sure you can argue...” point, it’s a blatantly misrepresentative one. How about a Stanley Cup? How about being over a point per game in nearly 800 games played?

You want to talk about off the ice? How about being the recipient of the Canadian Humanitarian Award? Or the Queen’s Jubilee Medallion awarded to those who have made a significant contribution to Canada?

Your post is terrible because it’s not a matter of you disliking Fleury, it’s you disliking Fleury and actively discrediting his accomplishments as a Flame and as Canadian. It’s embarrassing to watch as a fellow Flames fan, honestly.

You look at where he lands in contributions on and off the ice and the decision is obvious. If Canada can honour him, and (as you said) off the ice should matter, why can’t Calgary?
Stanley Cup - Already covered it. Came in as a rookie, and won it. That's great. I see 2 players retired from that team.

Point per game - yep, he was a point per game in a time when scoring was elevated for the most part. I never said he wasn't highly skilled or productive, however, did I?

Off the ice, GREAT! Humanitarian Award you say? Not the Scurfield. No, it was one that he was awarded after he was retired, no? Should we retire everyone after they have long retired from the game and honour them if they somehow do something fantastic? I don't remember him being fantastic as a Calgary Flame in that way.

Hey, it is great that he has his life together and is making a tonne of positive contributions to society. No, I don't 'hate' Fleury. I am definitely not a fanboy. I think the bar has to be set high. Fleury won a cup with the Flames, has the 28 SHG record for the Flames, 7 time all-star (that nobody even mentioned yet), won the NHL Plus-Minus award and finished off at over a PPG.

Some fans see this as deserving of being retired. I think it should be higher. I think that in light of his disparaging remarks to the Flames and his selfishness on the ice (though I guess fanboys would just cite as being 'all heart!'), I argue that it just isn't enough. He was a fan favourite, but his TIME AS A CALGARY FLAME (need to capitalize this for you so you don't accuse me of misrepresenting something again due to a lack of reading comprehension) is not enough.

I get it, he was a 'hero' to many, but take your feelings out of it and I just don't see it. He was a sparkplug out there, a highly skilled sparkplug that put up lots of points over his career, but he barely holds any records, won practically no individual awards of note... Sorry, but you will never convince me.

Oh, and take your down-talk "I am an embarrassment as a Flames Fan" and shove it up you know where. It isn't personal just because I dislike one of your heroes in life, so stop acting so hurt.

Discreding him as a Canadian. ROFLMAO. Again, we are talking about Fleury AS A FLAME. You know, his time as a Calgary Flame. Nothing less, nothing more. You don't consider anyone's performance or community involvement and achievements when they are no longer tied with that organization. If we can't agree that his jersey retirement/forever a Flame should be tied-in with how he was as a Flame, then there is simply no more discussion to be had.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: