View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #202
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
Mike Smith will be fine. He was our MVP (maybe co-MVP with Gaudreau) last season, made the all-star game and we would have made playoffs if we didn't get hurt. He's consistently .915 SV% goalie the last 5+ years. He's a legit starting goalie.

The issue this season is the odd man breaks against. You eliminate those and Smith gets better.

The post should be who does Treliving target as potential replacement for Mike Smith this summer for next season. Do we keep Smith on short term contract extension (maybe, if trade or UFA aren't best options), are Rittich/Gillies ready to step in as full time starters (my answer is no), who on the market can we get via trade or UFA (haven't looked at options but seems most likely). A lot of question marks next season for goalie, which worries me.
goalies, like all pro athletes, eventually hit a wall. Smith looks terrible so far. He is a gamer, and I agree was outstanding last year prior to the injury (truly outstanding), but he has let in a bunch of soft goals this year and looks more like the guy we saw post injury than the guy before it.

I have serious concerns based on what I've seen this year (1 good game in 6?). We aren't going to the playoffs if he doesn't get significantly better.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote