View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #18
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think LeBron is underrated, IMO he's actually massively overrated due to recency bias.

My all time NBA starting 5 is:
C Kareem
PF Bill Russell
SF Larry Joe Bird
SG Jordan
PG Magic

And that's pretty much my top 5 all time NBA. And LeBron isn't better than any of them at those positions. He isn't even uniquely able to play multiple positions. Magic won his first title filling in for Kareem at centre.

And even though I grew up hating the Showtime Lakers, Kareem is the goat by a whisker over Magic. His career was insanely long by the standards of the time, Tom Brady is amazing for playing at 43, but Kareem played at 42 over 30 years ago! He was first team all NBA at the age of 39.

The skyhook was literally an unstoppable shot, and it hasn't been replicated in the 50+ years since Kareem started dominating with it. It was unstoppable even though everyone knew it was coming. And if you cheated to try to take away the skyhook, he would pick you apart with his passing.

He played forever. He won multiple championships. He was unstoppable offensively and played great defence.

Jordan is the goat for most people old enough to remember watching him. LeBron is the goat for most people too young to have watched Jordan.

Kareem is the forgotten goat because he dominated 40 years ago and retired 30 years ago. When he dominated, the NBA finals weren't even carried live, they were on tape delay. He dominated before cable sports channels.

Kareem is the goat.

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote