View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #309
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Yes it's a lot of ifs for sure, but I wasn't talking long term, more for this short 60 game season.

Not sure I agree with your Romano point. He used to be a starter and always had decent control and SO numbers, then he got converted to a reliever and his stuff seems to be playing up which is not out of the ordinary. If he's got 96-99mph fastball, a wipe out slider and throws strikes, expecting him to be an effective late inning guy is not a stretch at all.

Dolis apparently is a guy that always had pretty good stuff but terrible control, and he's supposedly improved that aspect with a few years pitching pro over seas.

Guess we'll see.

What I meant was when there's a lot of uncertainty, as fans we tend to hope all the stars align and things go well to head to the playoffs. Things almost have to work out perfectly for those stars to all align. I think to the Riccardi era where he was signing a bunch of guys who were coming off injuries and if all the stars aligned, he'd look brilliant. Frankly most fans were sold. Me, I'm skeptical of these type players. To illustrate, let's say each guy has a 70% chance of being a solid player that you need on your roster every day to win. Let's also say you need all 3 to be at that level to be a contender. On each players own, 70% chances sounds good. Compounded though, there's a 34% chance all three play at that level, which isn't very good odds. When you bring in durable vets who have a trackrecord, you may have two guys with an 85% chance, and one with a 70% chance, and compounded, there's a 51% chance all stars align, which is still better than the unproven type. You do have a point with Romano and Dolis individually, but I wouldn't bank on either being impactful. As a fan it's always nice to think positive though.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: