View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 03:17 AM   #372
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
In terms of casting, the only ones that are hit out of the park and should be reprised (rip Jackman) are MacAvoy, Fasbender, Peters... ... anyone in Deadpool.

They really have a great opportunity because the shifting cast is essentially three guys, and everyone else can be re-cast or their characters retired. I'd be ok with very few mutants.
(Did some major edits for this post to clarify my post, sorry for anyone possibly replying to the first version.)

I don't much care for McAvoy or Fassbender, in these or in general really. I don't hate them, but personally I'd rather not have them back. To me the good ones were Jackman as Wolverine, Patrick Stewart as Xavier, Ellen (now Elliot) Page as Kitty, and Sophie Turner and Famke Janssen as Jean Grey. All of those characters are however dead, expert for Pryde, and that casting would now have a different issue. Although I think it would be incredibly cool if they made Pryde a transgender character and just kept Page, that would be an incredible internet s***storm.

The overall point is however that the major characters in X-universe are tied to the continuity problems of that universe, so they'd bring that story mess with them if you transferred those actual characters through some multiverse shenanigans. That's why it doesn't really matter here that X2 was a decent film, because if you brought in those characters, their background would also include the events of X1 and X3... or maybe not, depending on what point exactly on the X-timeline you'd choose as the point where the characters would come in. That's why I'm comfortable calling the X-universe overall hot garbage. Individual stronger films can't save the fact that the overarching stories are an absolute mess and the characters have really serious continuity issues in the way they're depicted from film to film. With a minor character like Quicksilver that's not really an issue, but with Wolverine you'd have to start making decisions about which bits of the X-storyline are actually part of that characters background in the MCU. It's certainly doable, but I don't see the value in it.

I mean sure, since Jackman just IS Wolverine and has already been in multiple timelines, so you could just make a couple of jokes to shrug it off in the beginning, but then if you started to write new stories for that character, it would be hard to build meaningful new arcs without first untangling the old ones, and the same goes for Magneto and Xavier. If you brought in the old characters, they bring their backgrounds with them from the X-movies, and that's just baggage for new writers wanting to do their own thing.

IF you wanted to bring in those old cast members, I think the only way it would make sense would be if you had them as purely supporting characters, but even in that case it would be somewhat weird to have the MCU versions intermingled with the Fox versions. It's very likely just best to either start from scratch with a completely new cast.

For Magneto and Xavier there would also be the issue that they've more or less already had all the key conversations you want those characters to have, many of them multiple times.

Last edited by Itse; 03-13-2021 at 04:08 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote