View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #276
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
See, that I do not know.

I have had 4-5 practice interviews with career coaches, HR people, and employment professionals. The feedback I get is "be sure to look your interviewer in the eye", watch your body language/don't cross your arms, answer the question directly and include 1 success anecdote, smile.

No one has said "you seem needy", "show that you care more", or "don't exude that you think you know best".

I like to think that I am not just dealing with a bunch of "yes" people, but the more I think it is me, the less honest answers I seem to be getting.
I don't know if you do this already, but for many modern interviews you really have to treat the interview more like a date. You have to woo the company to give you a chance rather than treat you like one of the others who have walked into that room. Like a date, it's a mutual engagement to better understand each other to see if you both would like to spend more time together as opposed to the classic one sided presentation style interview. As such, lots of the body language, looking people in the eye etc. is important.

When I interview others, I often remind the interviewee to relax and just allow for conversation. As an interviewer, if I'm literally just interviewing the entire time, it's boring, it sucks. One way to think of it is if it sucks spending that hour or whatever it is in that room together, imagine spending days, months, years together.

Also, don't forget the "secret interviewer". Many forget receptionists hold a hell of a lot of clout and if you can leave a lasting impression without getting in the way of them doing their job, it could be a difference maker.

Good luck.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: