View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #3578
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I'm looking for advice on insulating a 1950's bungalow. We've done renovations and additions over the years but not touched many of the existing walls. Turns out have maybe 1" insulation in 4" walls. I'm considering blown in insulation as a quick fix for at least the coldest room (master bedroom), but the people I've talked to so far won't fill finished walls because of inconsistent results (which I can understand). I'm not in position to do a major reno at the moment (time nor energy).

My wife has brought up external insulation as another option - I'm not sure the pros and cons of that.

Has anyone who has gone the blown in route offering any advice? Other suggestions?
My parents had an old bi-level with the same problem. The insulation was paper thin.

Tore the drywall off all the exterior walls and replaced with roxul insulation, then redrywalled. Ton of work, but I think worth it. Took the insulation that was in the walls and added it to the existing attic insulation.

I'd almost take it one step further and add 2x2s onto the studs to make the cavity bigger. Yes, you lose some space in the house but that coupled with new windows and you basically have a modern insulated home.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote