View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 09:15 PM   #3563
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Yes the large brass thing needs to be replaced.

The hole is supposed to be big enough to replace it but because the fittings are always soldered you really don't have enough room to do it proper.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can do this yourself but it will involve cutting the copper lines as far back as practical, assembling a new valve without being able to test your fittings, and splicing it in place. Soldering is complex cause the valve acts as a heat sink and if you get it too hot you can bugger that up too (gut it before any heat goes on). So your plumber probably wants to take half the wall down and run new everything from the floor up, and with the amount of damage a water leak can cause who can blame him.

If you can take out some drywall and give yourself some space its much easier, I am trying to tell from the pic what you have for a tub surround.
But I could possibly avoid this by figuring out the manufacturer of that brass part that way I could just buy the appropriate brand of shower head, tap and hot/cold handle.

Grinds my gears that you can't just select a set (brand be damned) and screw it on.

Edit: Ive just got a one piece tub and shower from the mid 90's. We are just being cheap. We wanted to update the hardware (I did the bathroom and kitchen sink taps already just fine) change out the medicine cabinets and update the paint. Give it a new look on the cheap kinda thing.

Last edited by Deviaant; 03-02-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote