View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Great thread. I'll post the favorites from my collections shortly. Unfortunately, I got back into collecting a few years ago, and it's basically just gambling. They've reworked how they produce cards, so they do have more value, but you aren't guaranteed to get value cards in each pack/box.
Wanted to revisit this, for a couple of reasons:

- Apparently hockey cards (and sports cards in general) have had a big resurgence this year, due to the COVID pandemic. Record breaking prices for high demand cards, including the most valuable Connor McDavid rookie card (which sold for $135k USD in June): https://globalnews.ca/news/7088732/c...e-card-record/

- I “stumbled” back into collecting hockey cards this year, focusing on Flames cards (and within a pretty strict budget). Just something to do for fun as it was something I enjoyed as a kid; not looking to make money or spend a bunch either.

Anyways, learning about where card collecting is nowadays was eye opening and there really is a huge “gambling” component it seems. You can spend $150 to $600+ for a “box” of cards (I use that term loosely as you only get 1 pack per box and only 4-7 cards per pack) and you might get a valuable card, but you also might get a bunch of meh that is equivalent 10% to 20% of what you spent in value back.

I don’t have a problem if that’s what people want to spend their money on and it’s what makes them happy, but it also kind of makes me sad that kids can’t just go to the local convenience store and buy a few packs of cards like you used to be able to do. Even the basic Upper Deck release costs $100 for a box of 24 packs, which is a lot of money if you’re a kid (unless your parents are willing to pick up the tab). I’m also not a big fan of how card companies try to “manufacture” rarity and or value... especially gimmicks like embedding pearls and other gems onto cards?!? Im waiting for the insert card where they literally embed a $100 bill onto the card and charge you $1000 a pack for it.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote