View Single Post
Old 10-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #1251
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Picked up warring colonies, because of course I did, I love Dead of Winter.

It looks like a really good variant, and contrary to what I would have thought, you actually don't need a ton of players to make it work. Frankly, I'm not sure I'd want any part of a game involving 11 people, that seems like it would just be pure chaos. Seems like it'd play best with 7, but it'd be totally workable with 4-5.

The downside is, I think it's basically unteachable to new players, because of Dead of Winter's litany of action options and the fact that in Warring Colonies, all player actions are taken simultaneously (there's a timer mechanic to speed up playthroughs). While this change is good in that you might actually be able to get through a game of warring colonies faster than the base game, depending on how many players there are, you definitely already have to know how to play the game. In other words, I'd say that everyone playing needs to have played Dead of Winter at least twice. Since Dead of Winter seems to have waned in popularity since it came out, unless you have a gaming group and play it semi-regularly, finding enough people to play it could be a struggle.

Now to wait for my table to be finished...

Ya I got a copy of it to just waiting to be played. Been slowly teaching more and more people to play DoW so we can get a good warring colonies game going. It's hard to find people that will board game in a small town. Gotta get more people to embrace their inner geek.

Did you order a table or are you making one yourself? I just got word that my geeknson table should be shipping yesturday and after dealing with the geek chic disaster I am very excited! My 4 year old is probably the most excited because I said we can go buy some new puzzles once it arrives!
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote