Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #1124
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Just a heads up - my parents had the same issue and it turned out that their devices didn't have a new enough wifi card to take advantage of the higher speeds. If you're only using 2.4 GHz on the wifi "n" standard with your device, you won't hit that number. If you're wifi "ac" standard then you should be able to get to 600 Mbps if wifi interference is low.
To be capped out at 150 mbps, you'd have to basically be using something with wireless cards that were used in an iphone 6 or older. Also, if the processing power isn't strong, you can't get fast speeds. I think with an iphone 7 I wasn't breaking 200 mbps on tests. The tech that showed up (at the time) was getting like 310 mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
That doesn't account for my PC that is not wireless.
Depends on the network card and some equipment like a switch. If you have an older network card or a non gigabit switch, you could be capped at 100 mbps.

Did you check your shaw bill online to see what they are billing you for and supposedly offering you to confirm you are on internet 600? If it's showing 600, then it's probably an equipment issue (either theirs, or even possibly, yours).

I'm not totally convinced it's your hardware that is limiting you, but I could be wrong. I totally get the frustration you're dealing with in not getting access to your full speed though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote