View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Great song starts or musical openings

So I was sitting there last night resorting my Itunes and I was thinking at things that make songs memorable. Lyrics, a great guitar cord, a great drum line. A lead singer letting a emotional gutteral scream or an "Oh Yeah" at just the right time.

But I also think sometimes there are great song openings that set the tone of the whole song. So I wanted to put a few up and see what some of your guys favorites are.

1) Bon Jovi's lay your hands on me

The first two minutes is like that awesome concert intro. In fact I remember this song opening I think their Slippery When Wet concert that I saw at the dome. At first its got all of the elements, the whaling guitars, strong powerful drum beat, Then at about 1:50 Jon Bon Jovi in a muted voice says

They say to really free your body, you've got to free your mind, so come on, check this out before singing "Lay your hands on me" leading into the song. Even in You tube it makes you feel like your at a concert event

2) Van Halen's Intruder/Pretty Woman

One of the coolest song intro's ever as Eddie Van Halen can get so many unique and strange sounds out of a guitar, it almost sounds like the Guitar is screaming in pain and resisting what's being done to it. The background drum work is powerful and it all builds to this height that sounds like a primitive man screaming at the moon before dropping into the opening of pretty woman.

3) Heart - Crazy on you

There's no secret that out of all of the guitarists that I really admire and follow that Nancy Wilson ranks up near the top for me. In a time and age where the world lacked kick a$$ woman Guitarists she was a rebel she was hard rock defined. But the start of Crazy on you was the beautiful intricate classic solo, that suddenly ascends into this harsh rocking sound where she's joined by another guitar and a great bass line. Then the lady that I consider to be the most dangerous female singer that the world has ever known strides onto the stage . . .

4) The Door's LA Woman

There's no doubt that Jim Morrison was tremendously talented, but the Doors would have never been the doors without Ray Manzarek's unique blue's based almost circus sounding key board work and Robby Kreger's almost too casual guitar work. But from the start of this song it becomes almost the ultimate way to put your car into gear on a sunday road trip. By this point, Jim Morrison sounded like what he became. Which was a burned out drug addict who's voice was rapidly degrading. But if you just play the opening of this song, its so brilliant and really emphasizes the late 60's and early 70's sound.

5) Def Leppard - Rocket

I love this song, but the intro for this song while slow emphasizes everything that was cool about the ultimate 80's heavy metal better live music scene.

the whole Get ya . . . and the guitar work and the vocals just perfectly role into the song and makes it incredibly memorable

Plus all these songs are incredibly strong throughout.

So what are some of your favorites?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: