View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #15
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. The Act of Killing. This might be the best documentary I've ever seen, and it is so, so weird. Essentially, imagine if, instead of losing WWII, the Nazis had succeeded in perpetrating the holocaust, and then 30ish years later were still running Germany, living alongside the family members of their victims. Then, an American filmmaker shows up and convinces them to do a dramatic re-enactment of their genocidal crimes under the guise of making a movie. That's essentially what this is, but in Indonesia.

A follow up, entitled "The Look of Silence", also came out this year - I haven't seen it but the concept is unreal; basically the director (Josh Oppenheimer) has one of the genocide victims, who's an optometrist, confront the perpetrators under the guise of giving them an eye exam for glasses.

2. Jodorowsky's Dune - As a movie about movies, it's hard to top this; a discussion of the never-made film adaptation of Herbert's "Dune" that, even though never made, influenced the sci-fi genre to be what it currently is. Had it been made, we might think of the Dune franchise in the same way we think about Star Wars.

3. Red Army - I'm amazed this isn't on everyone's list given the nature of the site... Basically a history of the Red Army team in the second half of the 20th century, largely focused through the lens of Slava Fetisov.

4. Going Clear - The scientology documentary. Simply put, this must be seen. It's an incredible expose.

5. Merchants of Doubt - A climate change documentary about the use of spokespeople to encourage a position of "let's wait until we have all the facts because things aren't clear", and how it's being used in the same way, and more alarmingly by many of the same exact people, as was the case when the debate was over the dangers of cigarettes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: