Thread: Jeopardy!
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #354
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
But it should be treated more like poker where odds incorporate the hand you’re holding. Except on jeopardy the hand you’re holding is your knowledge, instead of hole cards.

When factoring in her chances of a correct answer in the category, and final jeopardy in general, I feel like betting to cover off both would have been worth it. Although maybe my faith in her for the category was higher than she’d rate herself.

Or maybe she thought Sam had a junk hand and the only person she needed to beat was Andrew.

Still, always get on yourself when you’re that smart.
In an interview one time Jennings said, and I might be paraphrasing "there is no such thing as a difficult trivia question, either you know the answer and it's easy or you don't know the answer and it's hard".

This is where final jeopardy and betting before you know the answer can be a challenge, mostly players place bets purely on the numbers assuming all 8 scenarios are equally likely, and the only gamesmenship is assumptions about how much other players will bet.

From her perspective, these were the game scenarios

answers * small bet * big bet
right-right-right * another game * win
right-wrong-right * another game * win
right-wrong-wrong * win * win
right-right-wrong * win * win
wrong-right-right * another game * another game
wrong-right-wrong * win * lose
wrong-wrong-right * another game * another game
wrong-wrong-wrong * win * ? probably win

by making the small bet she got rid of the opportunity for a lose or for a wild card unknown resolution before knowing if the question was "easy" or "hard".
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote