View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Have an option to pick up this Lenovo laptop...
http://www.pricebat.ca/Lenovo-Ideapa...ows.u_2033264/

for $640.

thoughts?
It's slightly above entry-level. It's got an LED backlit screen which you might consider a premium feature, but you really have to see it in person to decide if it's worth the extra cash or not. Otherwise, it's got little that separates it from the sub $500 crowd.

In my opinion, there's a range of prices in laptops (somewhere around $500-$750) that's a no-man's land as far as I'm concerned. The features the vast majority of machines in that price range offer above the sub-$500 market are ones that most people won't need/notice/utilize. Slightly larger (but not faster) HDs, i5 CPUs, maybe a gig of ram, etc. They can't do anything that a $499 (or less) laptop can't do.

Above $750 and you get premium features like blu-ray drives, powerful GPUs, high-res screens, high-end build quality, extended battery life, improved portability, etc.

If you don't want or need any of those premium features, you're looking for an entry-level laptop, so save yourself $150 and buy an entry-level laptop. There are plenty of very solid ones out there.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post: