View Single Post
Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I disagree with your basic premise that the coach is the most important figure and continue to struggle why some folks don't want to hold the players accountable.Your proof point for your premise is a couple of singular examples.
You win and lose on the backs of your best players.
The Flames best players were awful.
That's not coaching, in my view.

Coaching is an important ingredient to be sure - but it is far over weighted by some fans.
I disagree a bit here as a lot of the players in this league are very good and the difference between two really good players is often motivation. Coaches need to motivate the guys that don't have great self-motivation. How else do you explain Barry Trotz and the Islanders? How do you explain the Blue Jackets sweeping the Lighthing especially after hearing Tortz amazing pre-game speech. Even Bob Hartley had the Flames playing over their heads for a season based on hart work and motivation. IMO you need to have the horses to win a cup but great coaching can get you into the playoffs and win a round or two. That didn't happen in Calgary. In fact you can argue the wheels fell off after the all-star break and the coach had plenty of time to get the top guys going and he couldn't. I think Peters had a great first season as Flames head coach but like the players he ran out of answers down the stretch. I know you aren't a Gaudreau fan but it's not all his fault.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: