View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 AM   #1
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default The Swimming Thread

I haven't seen a dedicated thread to swimming, so I thought I'd start one. I'm a late bloomer, so I'm still learning and trying to improve, and thought this would be a good place to share techniques, workouts, gear, etc - anything swimming related.

A bit of my story. I grew up taking swimming lessons, and learned all the basic strokes. But I always found it odd that I couldn't do a length or two of front crawl without being totally winded. I wasn't in bad shape, but when I heard people swimming 40 lengths or more, it blew my mind.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I stumbled on a blog where a guy described the exact same thing. He went from 2 to 40 lengths in 10 days by using a system called "total immersion". I just checked, and the original blog post is still available here, though it looks like he's becoming a bit of an internet personality.

I took just a few of the techniques, and the next time I went to a pool, I was able to swim 15 lengths right off the bat. What was more amazing was that I was tired, but not completely winded at the end. Also, when I stopped, I found I was actually sweating, like a real workout. I don't think I ever broke a sweat after going swimming before.

Briefly, the things I started trying to do were:
  1. I'm out of breath after doing 1 or 2 lengths because I wasn't taking in enough oxygen when I breath, and because I used my legs too much. Legs use up a lot of oxygen because they have so many large muscles. To counter act this, I now just do a quick flutter kick on each stroke instead of kicking continuously. I also focus on breathing out all my air when my head is in the water, so I can get a good breath when I breathe.
  2. Focus on aerodynamics. Keep the body as long as possible in the water to be more aerodynamic. This involves stretching your arm forward and actually twisting your body a bit to achieve a long body. The idea was if you stand facing a wall and stretch an arm up, you can actually reach a little higher if you twist your body slightly. This is the form I try to hold.
  3. Focus on gliding. You don't have to churn your arms/legs to swim. Hold your aerodynamic shape on each stroke to glide. This saves energy, and maximizes the thrust of each stroke.
  4. Get speedos. It was tough to wear the first few times, but they really do improve your ability to glide through the water. Goggles are also a must, though I was able to forego the swim cap since my head is shaved.

By doing these things, I started doing 40 lengths in about 23-24 minutes within a month, going twice a week. As my fitness improved, I got down to around 22 minutes.

I wasn't very regular - we swam on and off for a few years, but then realized I hadn't really swum for over a year. My wife and I just started again this past fall, and we have been fairly regular, going a couple mornings a week. I got inspired by watching this video on arm angle.

Spoiler!

I tried implementing this, focusing on my arm angle during the pull. I noticed a couple things. First, I can feel my lats working, so I know I'm engaging those larger muscles. Second, my time dropped almost 2 minutes over 40 lengths, to around 20:20. My goal is to hopefully break 20 minutes in the next 1-2 months.

A couple questions I have. First, is it worth it to learn to breath on both sides, so that you are doing 3 strokes between breaths? Breathing on my left side still feels very foreign, and I feel like my body is in the wrong position during and after I breathe. I can see you would be faster breathing every three strokes since you are in a good gliding position longer, but is that sustainable over longer distances?

Second, any tips on doing a proper flip turn? I still just touch the end, then push off, but I figure being able to flip turn would save time on each length. I've tried practicing a few times, but it's pretty hard for me. Very easy to get disoriented and I often end up really low in the water.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post: