View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 06:33 AM   #310
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
There are far more Canadians getting NCAA scholarships and the superior training. Quebec is pumping out many more players than in the 1990s. Before American expansion, the league needed 90 Canadian starters and could find them and offer a quality product. Now they need 63 and the league wants to lower it even more. The total number of Canadians in the NFL this year was 29. I am not sure what it was in the 1990s, but it wasn't zero. There is no reason to drop the ratio to 54 or lower.

The league is forcing this issue. The players would accept status quo. The league is threatening the season because of a change they want to force at all costs.
Why do you think the league is forcing the issue? If things were hunky-dory as you say then wouldn't this be a non issue for the league? It's pretty telling when the Canadian Football League is actually trying to reduce the ratio of Canadian players is it not? The league wants to change the ratio because they know the quality of product is slipping and attendance is also slipping accordingly. The easiest way to correct that is to add more talent to improve the product and the only way to accomplish that is to reduce the ratio. Having more Canadian players in the game may make overly patriotic fans proud but this league is on its last legs and while I've been critical of the commissioner this is one issue where I fully support them as it's been long overdue.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote