View Single Post
Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #113
GoFlamesGo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I purchased a Samsung 1080P 52'' Widescreen LCD from Futureshop yesterday and have decided to go with the HDPVR with Bell. This is the first time I'll be setting up an HDTV. I’m a newb to all this and hope some of you guys can give me some tips/advice/best practices:

1. Would you consider getting the Product Service Plan on this lcd tv? ? I think Futureshop charges $499 for 2 years. I’m usually the kind of guy who always cheaps out of this kind of stuff, but since this is a pretty high-end tv, do you guys recommend it?

2. The sales guy highly recommended the Monster Power outlet. Is this really necessary? The unit he was trying to push to me was about $215.

3. Do I have to purchase HDMI cables to hook up the HDPRV to the tv? If so, where’s the best/cheapest place to get this kind of stuff. I know retail stores have a huge markup on these things.

4. Is there anything else that I would need to get this going?

5. Would you guys rather rent or purchase the 9200 HDPVR terminal with Bell? I'm going to need 2 of these units. The units cost $600/ each to buy or $20/ month/ each to rent. $1200 is a lot of money to dish out for 2 units, but paying an extra $40/ month to rent the terminals is pretty pricey too. I'm leaning towards buying the units because the rental fees will pretty much pay itself off in a little over 2 years. Then, I was doing some research last night and Bell is supposedly releasing a new HDPVR (MPEG-4) unit later this year. I really don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GoFlamesGo; 07-05-2007 at 10:57 AM.