View Single Post
Old 05-11-2024, 01:15 AM   #177
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Bobby Orr missed out on 18.5% ownership of the Bruins because of his agent, Alan Eagleson.

Quote:
The opposite was in fact true. Eagleson seized financial control of a growing empire and began making questionable decisions, mainly because Orr seemed disinterested in tracking his assets. Eagleson once said of his client: “He is entirely unmotivated by any personal desire for money.”

That’s not how Orr remembers it. “I trusted him,” he says. “Many people tried to tell me that he was no good for me but I ignored them because … because he was like a brother.” As the agent used his guru status to take over personal and financial decisions, Orr became frustrated. “I couldn’t find a way to get myself out of his clutches.”
Quote:
It all started unravelling in 1975 during a final contract negotiation with the Bruins. Eagleson convinced his client to shun Boston’s offer and instead sign a six-year deal worth $500,000 with the Chicago Blackhawks, no doubt spurred by the close personal relationship he enjoyed with owner Bill Wirtz. Worse yet, Eagleson neglected to inform Orr of a lucrative counter-offer from the Bruins, which included an unheard of 18 per cent ownership stake in the team – a plum that would be worth about $100 million today. Orr claims he would have jumped at the Boston offer had Eagleson informed him of it. “Even someone with my limited financial skills would have known which offer would have been most lucrative in the long haul.” Instead, he packed up his skates and said bye-bye to Beantown.
https://www.everythingzoomer.com/fea...enceman-rests/