Thread: Todd Button....
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #16
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
I agree that younger players need opportunity and Sutter didn't really give any chances.

But interesting using Zary, as a part of me thinks he's looked this good because he had a couple extra years in the minors to learn his game. Guys like Baertschi were rushed and had too much pressure on them right away. Lots of young kids are probably better served with more time in the minors (even if I as a fan don't like it!).
I used Zary as an example because this is year 1 of having a team that the GM is wanting to build a team that has young players being promoted to the NHL. Zary had 58 points in 72 games and then a good start to this year in the AHL. Gets the call real early and was trending towards a 50-point rookie year. 58 in the AHL does not translate to 50 in the NHL.

Zary was a 2020 pick, Coronato was 2021. These 2 both played this year and 1 played very well. It's a bit early to criticize picks in 2020 to 2023.

2017-2019

Flames drafted:

1st - 2
2nd - 0
3rd - 1
4th-7th - 11

Valimaki and Pelletier are the 1st, Pelletier's injuries have slowed him down and Valimaki didn't get a chance but has been ok since he moved.

3 years to have 1 2nd or 3rd is not on Button.

11 picks in the late rounds have produced:

Ruzicka, Pospisil and Wolf. If Wolf becomes a #1 goalie that hitting at 11% on the late picks for high end players and if Pospisil becomes a solid 3rd liner or better, you got 2 very good players out of 11. 22% is amazing IMO.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote