View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 10:22 PM   #90
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s the answer to the question of are men or bears more dangerous to women.

Thats not the question being asked. You need to have a metric for incidents per encounter. So in the US there are probably 2 billion encounters between men and women a day. That is probably an underestimate of how many people come across each other each day.. So you have 600 rapes / 2 billion encounters vs 40 or so bear attacks in Canada per year / x encounters.

I fully acknowledge that I have the privilege to look at it statistically and that the statistical look is not the point.

You could also look at it as incidents per population of human or bear and then humans murder at a rate of 1/20000 or so compared to bears and like 2/1000000. In that case bears are less dangerous for both men and women
I think we can only really speculate on what would happen in the presumed scenario of a solitary woman isolated miles from anyone else.

100 encounters with a bear, and there are likely a few attacks. Though if we can narrow it to a solitary healthy bear (no cubs) who is aware of the woman before the woman is aware of the bear, I think it could be as low as 0 or 1 or 2 out of 100.

Run that scenario for 100 different solitary healthy men who are aware of the woman before the woman is aware of them...maybe 0 or 1 or 2 immediately attempt rape, but I'd bet a dozen or more lean heavily into the implication, and things escalate to varying degrees if she says no. (but she's not going to say no...because of the implication)

(obviously not a laughing matter, but I think it would literally play out like this too often
NSFW!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote