View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 03:46 PM   #30
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Here is what I think people are missing though...I'd guarantee voters aren't using Evolving-Hockey or any advanced stats.

They are doing the name + eye test + stats combination that they use for any individual trophy in the NHL.

And that's why it's a close race for Hughes, Makar, and Josi.

Hughes: Most points, plays good enough defense, doesn't PK much
Makar: Biggest name, highest P/GP, plays good enough defense, plays PK
Josi: 3rd most points, most boring team, less exciting, doesn't play PK

That is why Makar is probably in the top 2...instead of 8th or whatever the advanced stats say. Because Frank S and the rest of the PWHL aren't looking at those numbers.

Oh, I understand why Makar is there. It's nothing new for Norris voting. But as far as actual play goes, he's good, but this year he wasn't super human. In fact he was barely top ten. He was a chute behind Nathan MacKinnon who was super-human, slowing him down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Some of that analysis is a bit flawed.

For example, PK stats per 60 minutes. On the surface Hughes has better numbers per 60 minutes. However, if you look at their usage it's pretty clear that Makar is on the first PK unit, which means he faces the first PP unit, and spends more time out there. Hughes doesn't.

The PK take is the one there that's not quite in line with the rest of the article. It's everything else that makes this an avalanche (hehe) of stats in favour of Hughes over Makar.

I think the take of "Well, Hughes was remarkbly better in almost all facets of the game at 5on5, but because he doesn't kill penalties we should give it to Makar... even though he wasn't particularly good at killing penalties."

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 05-01-2024 at 03:48 PM.
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote