View Single Post
Old 04-29-2024, 09:51 PM   #2007
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw this one proposed by a leaf fan on a Reddit chat. If Toronto looked to trade Marner this summer and Dallas loses to Vegas again this year…

To Dallas:
Mitch Marner

To Toronto:
Jamie Benn

Who says no?

Cap hits are similar ($9.5 million for Benn and $10.9 million for Marner). Toronto gets more grit in a top six winger as well as leadership. One that doesn’t disappear in the playoffs. Seems like someone Treliving would covet. Toronto also gets a little cap relief. Dallas gets a younger, higher-scoring forward and more speed. They could hope he thrives in Dallas - lots of players do.

My first thought is that Dallas says no… they don’t need this move really. Only one year left on Benn’s contract. He’s their captain and usually looks good in the playoffs. I could see him signing a retirement contract at a reasonable cap hit with Dallas after next season. However, ownership has expressed frustration with him in the past. Also, in the series against Vegas last year (and in previous playoffs), Benn has taken bad penalties during crucial times that cost the Stars dearly. If something like that happens again in these playoffs I could see their patience running out and considering a move like this. Marner with Robertson could be a sweet combination for them.
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote