View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 11:09 PM   #1910
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

My own attempt at some crazy Marner trades that Treliving might try… keeping in mind he likes his “proven playoff performers”.

Trade option 1:

To Washington: Mitch Marner
To Toronto: Tom Wilson + 2024 1st round pick

Toronto keeps trying to get tougher and gets a guy that has performed in the playoffs before. This will of course not work for the leafs but Treliving would give anything to get tougher. This is essentially the Simmons and Clarkson moves all over again for the leafs. The leafs also get cap relief in this deal but he is signed for 7 seasons after this one (Yikes). Washington gets out of the Tom Wilson contract early and gets Ovechkin his playmaker to get his goal scoring record across the line next season. I added a pick going to Toronto because they are taking on such a long term contract.

Trade option 2:

To Pittsburgh: Mitch Marner
To Toronto: Eric Karlsson + 2025 conditional 1st round pick (becomes a 2nd if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs)

Pittsburgh gets a top six winger for Crosby, Letang and Malkin to keep trying with the old guard. Toronto gets an offensive defenceman to QB their powerplay. Problem for the leafs is that this does not solve the problem of having too much money tied up in too few players since Karlsson’s cap hit is roughly $10 million for 3 more years. Leafs likely bank on him LTIR-retiring after 2 years though. I added the pick going to the leafs because of the term left on the contract and because I think Marner is a more valuable player at this point.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post: