View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 PM   #19094
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Three things in the 'decades' argument:

1. There hasn't been a legitimate opposition in Alberta for 50 years until 2015. Now there is one, and it's the only progressive option.

2. Alberta has never seen such accelerated population growth as it is now.

3. 2023 proved that progressive parties don't need a split vote to compete. A 'united' conservative party can't steamroll city votes.

This. Is. Different.

I will move on after this but sometimes the way some posters are talking, they are talking about Alberta as being a progressive paradise here. I still stand by my comment that a lot of people who come from elsewhere and a lot of Albertan's who at one point lived in other provinces, generally take a more conservative approach. They may not be very conservative but a lot of specific things appeal to them. Things like

Low taxes, public safety, growing the energy sector in AB, small business competitiveness, standing up for AB interests in Ottawa, no sales tax, balanced budgets!!

Ohh wait, that was the AB NDP's platform for 2023 in the election. Literally word for word.

https://www.albertandp.ca/plan

This notion that strong left leaning policies are the key to winning in AB don't understand AB politics. The NDP literally own Edmonton yet the federal Liberals couldn't buy seats if they awarded Edmonton the Stanley Cup. Why? Is Edmonton really a left leaning hotbed in Canada? Anybody ever walk around Edmonton and think it's the San Francisco of Canada, just with a little more snow?

The AB NDP can 100% win the next election but they won't be able to do it with the way some left leaning, progressive's may want.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote