View Single Post
Old 04-21-2024, 10:07 PM   #4582
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'm perplexed by the ratings, to be honest. Here and elsewhere. To say "it stalls a little too long" is incredibly kind. What has happened?
It is an intriguing story. Costumes are fabulous, cinematography as well. I keep thinking something is about to happen, then it doesn't. Unless you count an earthquake as something, or bashing your head on a rock. They just talk endlessly, unfortunately. I really want to see what these other people do..

Like the book (which was also long) it's paced and deliberate. Rather like playing Go. The Japanese - and this series shows it well - are quite happy to take their time getting to a point or to accomplish something (even - and maybe especially with - pouring tea), with care and design. Love it! Just watched Ep 9 and...oh my!

The casting is superb, the subtitles are a fixture and Anna Sawai is phenomenal...for me, easily the best of the cast, though each member has a moment or two where they simply shine. Add to that some fantastic cinematography and the entire series is a nuanced and wonderful wander into the past.