View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 07:58 AM   #494
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I was pretty high on Penix, but then watched a bunch of videos and Res is right. Dude cannot throw to the middle of the field and got bailed out by his WRs a fair amount.

Might be something he can clean up with coaching, but I wouldn't spend a 1st on him.
Charlie Weis was talking about this in regards to Nix and Penix. By all accounts Nix threw deep balls well enough in pro day and combine and Weis was saying that a QB shouldn't be penalized for operating within the framework of offensive system that clearly was designed around getting the ball out quickly. Same with Penix in that throws down the middle of the field will be less than other QB's when you are completing more deep balls than anyone else. Also it's a bit of a myth that he can't throw to the middle of the field.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2024-...liber-prospect
Quote:
Statistically, he works the middle of the field at an exactly average rate relative to this draft class, and the closest you can come to finding an area where he is deficient is by filtering to an extremely narrow window 20-30 yards downfield across the middle, which he targets slightly less frequently than other quarterbacks. This can just as easily be explained simply by scheme than it is by any flaw in his game.
I just think by this time of the year these players are micro analyzed too much and that factors into why teams miss so much on QB's as they find reasons to talk themselves out of drafting QB's when the focus should be on reasons to draft them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's the NFL draft, watch Spencer Rattler end up the best QB of the draft.
I think that's a long shot but I wouldn't be suprised if he ends up being a player as he has a solid toolbox and unlike other QB's he's had to function behind a terrible offensive line. Purdy is an example of what can happen if a QB falls to the right team. I wouldn't be shocked if he's picked in the 2nd round.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-19-2024 at 08:05 AM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote