View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 10:10 PM   #1264
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Water as a thermal energy store isn't a great option outside of home hot water heaters
I believe Drake's Landing only uses water as the medium to move the heat energy. I think the thermal battery is sand.

I was disappointed to hear they made the news with problems in their system. I've not found too much info but it seems like it's the solar thermal collectors and the plumbing system that is having problems. I believe the thermal battery is still working fine. It should be noted this is a 17 year old system. Maintenance and/or rehabbing might not be newsworthy.

This is pure speculation but I wonder if this is more of an issue with who is having to pay for the renovation. Similar to the problems condo associations face with exterior work like fencing and parking lot paving.

I would love to hear if anyone knows more about Drake's Landing and their system. I contacted them last year to have a tour but was told they weren't doing them at the time. Anyone live there?

I think low temperature thermal batteries have great potential in Alberta's climate and could lessen the load on the power grid as we move to more electrical use. Drake's uses air handlers in the home that achieve COP in the 30's. That's incredible! I think if adapted in new residential and commercial construction, the payback period could be quite attractive.

The higher temp thermal batteries are also enticing in an industrial setting.
bootsnixon is offline   Reply With Quote