View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 01:28 PM   #18765
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I guess I mean, is he likely to try to re-brand the party as a very different beast from the Federal NDP - i.e., change the logo and colour to purple, focus heavily on issues pertaining to fiscal prudence, reducing bureaucracy and wonky policy stuff rather than values, and clearly distinguish himself from Singh & Co. That sort of thing... I've seen some noise being made about the NDP "expanding the tent" and cutting ties with their federal counterparts, and that causing friction with party insiders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Logo & colour? No.
He's said he will put separation from the Federal party to a vote (all any candidate can really say) and that he thinks the party charter (or something along those lines, might be a different name) is way out of date and needs some updating.

So if you're a hardcore NDP base and party insider, you probably think he's taking over the party. If you're anybody else, you probably think he's taking away some of the easy sticks the UCP beat them with and trying to continue to move to the center to maximize electability.
Nenshi or any other leader can't unilaterally step in and start making drastic changes because everything has to go through a resolution and be voted on by the NDP party Members at a convention anyways.

Obviously he can be the driving forces behind a lot of "revolutionary" changes and all the new party members that support his vision would be useful in voting for the new resolutions.

I expect there will be quite a battle during this leadership race between old, what the party has been built upon, and new, how do you grow the party and how much do you give up to attract moderate or right of center voters.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote