View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 06:45 AM   #286
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the responses everyone. You are echoing the same sentiments that my wife said about using medication to achieve health goals. It isn't different than any other medication required to maintain health, and in fact is probably better than a lot of others because it doesn't seem to have any long-term side effects, and it could help me avoid taking drugs for cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. I think my resistance to it is because it feels like giving up on losing weight in a normal way, and I'm not one to give up easily.

I have tried personal trainers in the past. I found that my strength increased, but my weight didn't budge and inch. I became frustrated and gave up (usually stuck with it for 6 months to a year before doing so). I have tried various healthy eating plans (not a pure diet because those are based solely on calorie restrictions, and that doesn't work long term). Outside of an occasional fast food meal when I'm on the go, I don't eat any processed foods or consume any added sugar. I cut soda out years ago and I almost never eat dessert or other sweet foods (just lost my taste for it). I try to eat high fiber food, and a good amount of vegetables and beans. Whole grains for the most part. A mix of lean and fatty proteins (because some amount of fat is actually good for you, just can't eat it all the time). My bloodwork is really good except for total cholesterol that is bordering on being too high. The only thing that's a detriment is alcohol, and I'm working on actively reducing that.

My family on my mom's side are all bigger people with thick torsos. It seems to be a genetic trait to have this body type. My own mom eats nothing but fruits, vegetables, and whole grains (and pretty small portions overall), yet she still is quite overweight. It seems as though I'm stuck with that bodytype. It's just that the extra weight is starting to cause issues in my ankles, knees, and hips, sometimes low back. It's getting harder and harder to stay active because of the extra weight and the pressure it puts on my joints. I know that if I don't reverse course soon, it will be something that lowers my life expectancy, even though I don't have any risk factors in my bloodwork or physiology right now...it's a certain outcome long term to carry extra weight and not be very active.

As for the other stuff, I do try to focus on positives, and I'm often the one reminding my wife of that when she starts to get overly negative. I usually have a pretty healthy outlook on life. I think I'm just in a holding pattern, and that bums me out. I'll be taking care of my kids for at least another 12 years before they leave for college. I've sort of hit a plateau at work, and I don't expect a lot of upward mobility or change in the future. I don't really want to do more either. It just means I will probably get really bored doing the same thing for the foreseeable future. I don't have a hobby other than working on the occasional massive lego kit. I don't have any close friends living here. Plenty of casual friendships and acquaintances, but that's it. Most of the men my age love to go out golfing, but I can't stand golf, and so there's not many opportunities to make new friends. I don't seem to have a lot of shared interests with men my age.

I have a great wife. We have a great relationship and are quite close. My kids are great (if not a little annoying sometimes), and my family in the area are all good people who support our family unit well. We are very well set financially, and I don't think I'll ever have to worry about money long term.

Again, I don't have much to complain about, but I find myself often bored. Suburban life is comfy, but a little dull. I don't have any major interests to keep me occupied these days, and I don't have a lot of friends to just hang out with. Life is about work and family duties, and that's about it. I don't see that changing much anytime soon. Hence why I'm bummed out.

I try not to complain too much because I know so many people have it worse off than I do, but I still feel the way I feel. Just not sure what to do about it.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: