View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 06:45 PM   #5936
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Our double garage door is acting up a little bit...it started during the really cold snap a while back and now it seems a little bit louder and jankier than usual. I can see that the bottom panel looks ever so slightly crooked in the up position, and one of the side supports has a little dent near the bottom...it's nothing super obvious and it looks fine in the down position.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth getting some maintenance/repair or just letting it ride until dies. Pretty sure it's original = 32 yrs old. Does anyone DIY regular maintenance on their door? I feel like mine is at the stage where cleaning/relubricating seems more likely to #### it up more than improve it, but who knows? Has anyone experience failure - how annoying is it?

The other thing is that it's a 3-car garage with another single door (zero issues), so I'd probably need to replace that door at the same time.
I'd personally probably recommend looking into cost effective repairs/maintenance and waiting to replace at the last possible moment.

How are you lubricating it? I'd probably recommend buying the WD 40 garage door lubricant, using a brush to brush off any chunks of old grease and dirt gumming things up, then wearing a mask and basically emptying half the can on every bit of exposed metal, joint, chain, wheel etc. and ride it till it dies. It'll cost you less than $15. It works way better than other options I've tried such as regular WD40 and other greases. I do this maybe 2-3 times a year? Mainly when door opening/closing is not smooth or if I see some salt accumulation I want to lazily displace.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3...w.ds#store=419

I guess you could try to straighten out the rails, track and bars or whatever to make it smoother if it has warped? Maybe reinforce the bar, track or rails if they're wobbling around while the door is moving?

Failure wise, whether it's a huge deal is whether you're somehow trapped in the garage. For most garage doors I've seen, there's a release you can pull to pull the garage door open manually. Someone strong enough to yank it open manually and go on with their day, it's a minor inconvenience. Someone whose door gets jammed/due to personal circumstances, can't get their car out and is in a rush that day, huge inconvenience.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: