View Single Post
Old 03-13-2024, 01:03 PM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default My Weightlessness Invention

Hey, so I've mentioned it before, but I'm really bothered by the incessant and unrelenting nature of gravity. When I think about it sometimes it gets really bothersome that it's always pulling me down and there's never any respite. We're born into gravity and we're just sort of stuck with it forever. It's such BS.

Anyway, I've been trying to come up with an anti-gravity solution that isn't super compromised (like that giant-fan indoor skydive place) or a total PITA (like skydiving). I want to enjoy weightlessness without feeling like I'm falling or without a bunch of air blowing at me. Just floating in silence is what I'm after.

My solution is this: a gigantic Drop of Doom-style contraption. We'd bore out a tunnel from the top of a mountain straight down and then it would curve at the bottom as a run out. Size of the pod inside the tunnel would be like a small bedroom, all padded and no windows whatsoever (no windows as you want the illusion of floating in a stationary room versus falling down a shaft).

You get inside and this thing free falls inside the tunnel (probably on some sort of track/guide). The key to make it not scary would be a quick acceleration to 9.81 meters per second squared versus an instant freefall.

You slow it down with a curved run-out, which basically lets you get back to gravity. During the fall, however, you're free to float around the room as though gravity does not exist.

I think this is brilliant, but interested in hearing thoughts to really make this possible.

Here is a basic diagram:
Spoiler!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: