View Single Post
Old 03-11-2024, 11:19 PM   #58
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarons13 View Post
So full story:

We have a 2 year old, and my wife is not tech literate. So it would most likely be a "set it and forget it" setup. I'd consider a few additional options/configurations for different usage (ie a music setting, a movie setting) but that would probably be the extent. I'm sure my wife would struggle changing the input on the current setup
I mulled over my response all weekend, but I wasn't sure whether to continue with my original post.

I think the issue I have is that I don't really feel comfortable just throwing out a few names for you to look into and going from there. Plus I'm not the guy who is the true expert for this stuff. I honestly think it makes more sense if you go spend some time researching how to set up a good system before circling back to the receiver and amp idea. What room are you considering, how often would others use it, the type of regular interference it might be subject to etc.

Depending on the situation, maybe it makes no sense to set up those speakers for family movie and music listening. Just buy a high quality sound bar that's appropriate for your child, wife and other users and something that sounds great, easy to use and you can thrash around. Especially if they won't be able to tell the difference anyways. You can get a solid Sonos sound bar for a fraction of the cost of the receiver you might be considering for those speakers. I really don't think a 2 year old would be awed by the difference between "brighter or muddier" sounds. More like flashy lights, Cocomelon characters or baby shark. Many spouses don't know the difference either. They just know they don't know how to get the thing to work.

Are you able to consider a personal set up for the speakers instead, like a man cave gaming/media set up? But honestly I don't know your situation. As much as you want to make them sing and are excited for that, the alternate possibility is putting together an awesome set up that just collects dust because it matches well together at a technical level, but doesn't match your sound preferences/isn't impressive enough to you to get regular use.

You certainly do want to make sure that wattage AND impedance of the receiver are appropriate matches for your speakers. But it wouldn't be as simple as saying, "Look into Denon or Anthem depending on your budget." When you get into some of this higher end stuff, the intention is to have an intimate experience with the media you're hoping to consume. I think it makes sense to spend more time understanding how it all fits together prior to making a purchase decision rather than just going with something higher end that "should pair well".

I do agree with you that your Onkyo likely isn't the right pairing with your speakers, but it's not an age of the receiver issue, it's the the fact Onkyo receivers are typically entry level receivers and may not have the capability to run those speakers issue. Some people specifically seek out vintage receivers and amps because it is a specific sound profile they are looking for and a good match for their set up.

I almost wonder if it might make sense to call a smaller hifi shop and ask if you can bring the speakers in and ask them for a recommendation for a receiver/amp recommendation. Maybe even pay them a small fee for their time. Then you can get an idea what the sound might sound like if your speakers are optimally set up. But also don't forget that the furniture, wall/ceiling/floor materials and other things in your home "set up" can affect the sound. Heck, even blinds can do that to a surprisingly severe degree. How it sounds in the store can be very different than at home. This is always these types of risks buying higher end speaker set ups. You're entering the realm of wanting to ensure that your stuff is custom fit to your situation, environment and expected usage.

I really do hope you figure out how to get those speakers to sing. But I also hope that you spend some time ensuring those things will sing regularly, rather that rarely.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote