View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 01:52 PM   #59
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Quoting myself from an other thread here...but I don't know how any team could look at the potential goalie market in the offseason and go "Yeah there will be a bigger market for him in the offseason"

The goalie market is generally soft in the offseason because there are lots of options for teams to go the cheap route available for short term looks.

It's not like Markstrom is 28 like Saros either...he's 34.

Sell now while you have a motivated buyer that if rumors are true made a very aggressive offer.
I also think the market is soft in the off-season because teams aren't playing any games. Everyone thinks their goaltender has the capability of being a good starter. Nobody is posting an .870 SV%.

I'm hoping this is just a negotiation tactic. I don't think anybody would be surprised, if the Flames keep Markstrom, if he has another bad season next year. In fact, I'm kind of expecting it given how our defence will look and because Markstrom himself seems to just swing wildly between seasons.

This is an opportunity to add extreme value to an organization for an asset you believed to have negative value less than a year ago. It's potentially franchise changing.

I don't understand how the Flames would refuse to act simply to "send a message". Who cares. A message has already been sent by trading Lindholm, Tanev, and soon Hanifin for futures. It's the right message.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote