View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 11:15 AM   #71
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1933-34

We've all said and heard it before "I'd die for a chance to blank" Or if I blank, I would die a happy man". History has been filled with people who have died on the way to the ultimate victory. Years ago I sat in a session with a former mountain climber who had climbed some of the biggest mountains in the world and that they were littered with the bodies of climbers within sight of the summit. Is it a tale of victory? Or is it a tragedy? When's it OK to give up?

The Hawks had been part of the NHL since 1926, but to this point in time they had been seen as a failure. Last year they finished with a 16-21-12 record, but they were finally ready to take a step into the spotlight.

Under the leadership of coach and manager Tommy "The ref puncher" Ghorman and backstopped by goalie Charlie Gardiner the Hawks finished the season with a 20-17-11 record thanks to allowing the fewest goals in the league at 83. Gardiner finished the year with 10 shutouts and a 1.73 gaa. But Gardiner had a secret and people were starting to notice his short fuse, his intolerance for mistakes by his team mates. Gardiner was not well and he kept it from everyone as he suffered from a serious chronic tonsil infection. Now days with modern medicine, this isn't a big deal, but in 1933 it was a serious problem. Gardiner knew he was seriously sick but he was obsessed with winning the Stanley Cup.

Gardiner's Hawks thanks to him made it to the Stanley Cup finals, they beat the Canadians 4-3 in their first round 2 games total goals series 4-3. Then beat the Maroons 6-2 in their second series. This put them into the finals against the powerful Detroit Red Wings who were one of the scariest offensive teams in the league.

The finals were an emotional whirlwind, the Hawks won game 1 in double overtime 2-1. In game 2 the Hawks won game 2 4-1. But Gardiner was exhausted and wracked with severe pain. Ghorman commented on Gardiner's condition "He's bad".

Detroit won game 3 5-2 and after the game Gardiner rallied his team mates and told them, "All I want is 1 goal next game, one goal and I'll take care of the other games". In game 4 neither team scored in regulation and Gardiner was good for his word stopping everything, but his fatigue was clear but he battled through the first overtime and half way through the second the Hawks Mush Murray beat Detroit goalie Wilf Cude to secure the Hawks first Stanley Cup. for Gardiner it was his final battle, he'd given everything he had, and 2 months later in a Winnipeg hospital he died.

Trivia

• The league continues to play with the rules to increase scoring, only three players including the goalie could occupy the defensive zone.
  • Visible time clocks become required in all buildings.
  • The NHL goes from a ref and a linesmen to two referees.
  • The Detroit franchise in serious financial jeopardy is purchased by James Norris Sr and he renames the franchise the Red Wings.
  • The Red Wings on the back of heir top line of Cooney Weiland, Herbie Lewis and Larry Aurie win the American division.
  • The Maple Lears and Canadians make a block buster deal as Montreal sends George Hainsworth to Toronto for Lorne Chabot.
  • The Leafs win the Canadians division while the Habs finish second.
  • Charlie Gardiner wins his second straight Vezina trophy.
  • Charlie Conacher of the Leafs wins the scoring title with 52 goals in 42 games.
  • King Clancy of the Leafs leads all defensemen with 28 points.
  • Red Horner of the Leafs is the most penalized player with 146 penalty minutes.
  • On Dec 26 Toronto Star Irvine "Ace" Bailey is almost killed after a vicious hit by Eddie Shore when Bailey's head struck the ice on a blind side hit. Shore had been hit by King Clancy during a rush and enraged and confused thought he was attacking Clancy but nearly killed Bailey. Bailey fell into a coma and hovered near death for 2 weeks, Shore was suspended. When Bailey recovered Shore's suspension was set at 16 games. Though he recovered, Bailey never played professional hockey again. The first All-Star game happened to raise funds for Bailey and Shore and Bailey shook hands and embraced at center ice. Bailey's number 6 was the first number retired by the Leafs. $29,000 was raised by the game for Bailey and his family. Nearly $670,000 today.
  • In the playoffs The Black Hawks upset the Canadians in round one, The Maroons squeak by the New York Rangers, The Wings upset the Leafs in their best of 5 semifinal 3 games to 2.
  • Chicago beats Detroit 3-1 in the finals to win their first cup.
  • The struggling Ottawa Senators franchise plays its last game in Ottawa transferring to St Louis and becoming the Eagles.
  • Auriel Joliat wins the Hart Trophy.
  • Maroons Russ Blinco wins the Rookie of the year trophy.
  • Frank Boucher wins his 6th Lady Byng trophy in 7 years.
  • Charlie Gardiner dies of a brain Hemorrhage 2 months after winning the Stanley Cup.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: