View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 10:56 AM   #39
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

After finishing all the SNES FF games recently via pixel remaster, I went through Chrono Trigger on the DS. Aside from a few minor differences, the DS version faithfully recreates the SNES game minus the cramped text and interface. I've played through it on the DS a few times in the past but this time I actually tried out the bonus content.

The Monster Arena was a cute idea if you like Pokemon, but otherwise just kinda boring. It wasn't too hard to get a pretty powerful monster and I didn't have to go too hard on it. Some of the higher level fights feel more luck based than skill based. I basically visited whenever I was at a time gate.

The Lost Sanctum is mind numbingly boring. I gave it a chance even when I saw how repetitive it was getting, but gave up after the 10th time switching timelines and running up and down a mountain path with some unskippable battles. It was terrible. Maybe I missed the "good stuff" but after a few hours of it I was done.

The Interdimensional Vortex was much better. There were some challenging battles and what seem to be connections to Chrono Cross (I haven't played it). The superboss at the end actually killed me once. It was nice to see a bit more about what Schala was up to since that really felt like a missing plot-thread in the main game.

Chrono Trigger is still very easy even when I self-imposed some restrictions on party member usage and skipping many optional battles. Anyone who was complaining about the lack of difficulty on Sea of Stars should probably play Chrono Trigger again to remind them about how we got there. The game is generous with money and items, so you never feel underpowered. Maybe the only real wall in the game is the Isle of Woe boss, who opens the fight with a ton of group wide damge.

I also beat the "hardest" NG+ ending on my first try when I thought I'd get wrecked due to a low level. Maybe all the awesome gear I got in the bonus content helped. I've never gotten all the endings before but I might do it for fun.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote