View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 10:57 AM   #108
spotthefan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I work in education and have a significant say in the operations of it a school but not with the CBE. This is not solely a CBE issue but truly an indication of a confluence of issues colliding all at once.

1. Kids are different for a variety of reasons. The generation as a whole has grown up differently than even those 5-8 years ago. It is extremely hard for a system to adapt to change that fast, even if a majority of teachers and staff adapt as best they can (and they do).

Secondly to this, the pandemic had a significant effect on students and specifically kids between 8-16 years old. They are struggling most. That isn't an argument for or against how the pandemic was handled it is just a reality statement.

2. Inclusion is perhaps the single most important adaptation the system has made in the last 20 years. It had to happen. Unfortunately the societal support for inclusion hasn't occurred to properly support it. I've seen amazing learning and developmental success for students of all abilities in a mainstream school. I've seen neurotypical and physically typical students become more understanding, compassionate and inclusive of differences. I've seen cultural differences be celebrated and honoured.

I've also seen specific kids suffer and fail because the supports needed to be successful aren't available to them. Related i've seen the education of the majority be greatly inhibited by the behaviour of a few.

3. Government policies and funding. Over the last 15 years we've gone from support for small class sizes, individualized services for those in need (including speech) and investment in improvement in schools to severely underfunded students, services, and supports. In my district the equivalent of 700 kids do not receive funding.

Government initiatives and beliefs come and go, that is natural. Even when it was the PC governments we would see pendulum swings on certain issues or topics. However, we are no so drastically impacted by small minded beliefs around education and students that it is causing unnecessary and undue stress on schools.

4. A stressed out and thinning labour force. Some may not like this at all but the truth is there is a teacher and support shortage in Alberta (and elsewhere). We go days with sub shortages causing class changes, teacher changes, planning changes, and increased supervision. This is exhausting for everyone involved and if you know anything about kids its that if you change their routines and expected people, it causes problems.

5. Changing family expectations and value on education. This is a big one. There is a lack of trust in education and belief in its value - some of that the education sector must own. Some of that is beyond our control. I've been told more frequently in the last few years that I can't do something that is so clearly outlined in policy, procedures, AND legislation. Related students are gaslighting more than ever. Simplistic but true: "You need to stop talking while I do" - "i'm not talking!" when you are literally standing there watching them talk.

6. Because of 1-5 we've lost our purpose in education and what school is for, academic success and learning. I do not like the conservative governments of the last 5 years but one thing I can't argue with is a desire to ensure students are learning. There are things we need to do better in schools but unfortunately until 1-5 are helped, that will be a struggle.

It is a very difficult occupation to be in right now.
spotthefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to spotthefan For This Useful Post: