View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 11:47 AM   #89
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It goes beyond hardware. Students who didn’t have parents at home supervising them just dropped out of lessons. My kids said that by the end of a remote class there were often only 4 our 5 students still in the video meeting. The rest had wandered off to watch Netflix or play videogames.

Remote learning only really works for self-motivated and engaged students. For everyone else, it’s effectively useless.
Well, yes and no.

At the end of the day the School Boards were caught off-guard, which, the first time was more than understandable. The second time was ridiculous. They had ages to prepare.

But what they shouldn't have done is essentially 'forgiven' the end of the school year that first time.

Which I think is what Slava was getting at and you are correct. Most of them went to watch TV and play Video Games.

Which again, has me bitching about Teaching Administration as opposed to Teachers themselves, theres plenty of crap to go around, but when the Administration basically flings their arms up in March and says:

"Pandemic! School's Out! Don't worry about it!"

And then a few weeks later turns to the Teachers and tells them to keep Teaching? You sold them out. Thats an almost impossible task.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote