View Single Post
Old 01-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #38
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I appreciate everyone sharing concerns about safety, but is this relative to Canadian standards or American big city standards? I only ask because I was definitely shocked at the poverty/griminess/potential crime that occurs when I moved down here, but that seems to be all big cities if you're in the wrong area. I'm pretty used to that element...I live in Florida after all.

I guess I'm just wondering how much I need to be concerned above my normal amount of situational awareness in a city?
In terms of crime overall, it may not be the worst, but in terms of violent crime it's one of the most dangerous places on earth. I'm 2022, it had the 8th highest murder rate on earth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate

As other posters have said, in most US cities, you're generally OK if you just avoid the sketchy areas. In New Orleans, the entire city is a sketchy area.

Not exaggerating, but I've been to cities in developing countries that felt much safer than New Orleans.

With that said, just be careful and try to be amongst large crowds and don't venture out at night outside of the main touristy areas.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote