View Single Post
Old 01-21-2024, 04:08 PM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Sadly this could be the end of the AJHL as we know it. I don't get the hard on these teams have with the BCHL and their reason for wanting to join and leave Hockey Canada, not sure what the "archaic rules" are that these teams don't like, at least thats what reasoning is on social media.

Regarding travel, this year the AJHL more than doubled travel costs by moving to a full interlocking schedule meaning 4 games, two home and two away vs every other team in the league. In orevious years south teams and north teams only played two games vs each other (one home and one away) and 6 vs teams in their own division. A team like Canmore wich previoulsy only had two real road trips each year now has 4 big swings up north AND has lost out on their out and back trips requiring no hotel to Okotoks, Calgary, Brooks and such, they would only have to hotel 5-7 nights the entire year. The reason behind this was to create increase the amount of competetive games by adding Spruce Grove and Sherwood Park vs Brooks rather than having Brooks steamroll Olds and Canmore again and again and again. So overall by adding Cranbrook to this loop travel will not increase as much as some are thinking would be about even for Brooks and Okotoks and Blackfalds and a bit more for Spruce Grove and Sherwood Park.
Well there are a number things. Like I said earlier, they’re not allowed to recruit Europeans, and they’re losing players to the BCHL because it’s perceived as a better league. So, if you’re a top team in the AJHL it’s attractive. I think there are/were other options here, but I can see the rationale.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote