View Single Post
Old 01-18-2024, 01:37 AM   #76
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
It is great news. My worry now is that the damage to infrastructure and people’s homes is going to be substantial, and will of course take some time to assess. Thor, do you know of anyone who is raising funds to help the displaced townspeople? I thought I read about someone raising 4M Kronur for that purpose somewhere but that doesn’t seem like a lot of money given the damage we’re seeing.
Well, the damage is substantial, so many crevasses opened up, still a fair bit of quakes, and of course, after this last eruption stopped the ground is rising up in and near the town indicating magma building up.

At this point it looks more like the government will have to buy out the residents, about 120 billion krónur and we abandon the town.

Of my friends that live there, 3 that I know well, they are all at this point not wanting to move back, understandably.

The biggest problem is this area when it was last active which is much of the Reykjanes Peninsula, it lasted 100's of years with eruptions every few years all over this area.

So this is likely the start of a long period of eruptions which means Grindavík, Blue lagoon, Svartsengi geothermal plant are all just a matter of time before they get hit and destroyed.

Various groups is helping the refugees, pets, and animals, trying to get housing for all the displaced.

The government is working on buying out all the residents of their homes, since at this point we are not optimistic people can ever move back there.