View Single Post
Old 12-25-2023, 01:01 AM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Since being hospitalized he has deteriorated significantly. He's in a normal hospital bed now, can't feed himself or walk anymore. He's stuck there until he no longer needs acute care and then he goes to dementia bed in hospital for several weeks until a placement is available. The Hospitalist Drs who have seen him both agree that he can never go home again. So it's a matter of time but I'm not sure he has that much time anymore.

You have provided me more information than the person assigned to my dad. She told me that Good Sams has only one bed in Lethbridge for dementia care... There is also a lot more facilities that seem to offer dementia care than what she told me about too. There is a lot I haven't gotten into because I just don't have the energy to rehash it all. It's been a struggle.
I understand the stuggle, I had 5 years of straight hell due to my mom's dementia and my family fragmented, then moved straight into the year of hell I'm currently in.

Make sure you have all of your Dad's legal work done(Power of attorney) etc. It makes it easier for you to get things done. Like I emphasized its not enough for your Dr to say he can't go home, There are forms he can fill out and tasks that can be done with the help of that doctor and administration in the hospital coordinating with AHS.

I was talking to my Sister today about Mom, and we were fortunate that we found enough money to get my mom into a private facility, My mom who was in really bad shape, sat on the public list waiting for a room for about a year before she died in that private facility. It wasn't that the transition nurse didn't care, she did and she worked quite hard and communicated with us constantly. Its just that there aren't enough public treatment facilities with either assisted living or memory care.

Also on another note, when we had our mom in the hospital I dreaded the visits, not because of the attempted level of care or the doctors or nurses. But because it was basically like walking into a ware house of people that were in bad mental states and deteriorating.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: